Merdith Fire Department
Thursday, July 25, 2024
Fire Danger Today:
Fire Danger Day

Fire Permit Information

It Is The Law - RSA 227-L:17(ll)

    Every person, firm, or corporation who wishes to burn clean, ordinary combustibles such as leaves, brush or untreated lumber, or have a camp or cooking fire must have written permission from the landowner and a fire permit from the local forest fire warden or local fire department in the town or city where the fire will be kindled. You must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a written fire permit.


    Campgrounds or picnic grounds, regardless of whether they are public or privately owned, must obtain an annual written fire permit from the town forest fire warden for use of outside fireplaces, camp or cooking fires used in the operation of the camp or picnic grounds. Such camp or cooking fires should:

  • be in an area cleaned to mineral soil at least 8 feet across;
  • have at least 6 inches of sand or gravel under the fire for any fire built on the ground;
  • have no limbs or other burnable material to a height of 10 feet above the fireplace area; and
  • be constructed so they cannot be moved from their mineral soil area.

Where Can I Obtain a Fire Permit in The Town of Meredith?

    When obtaining a permit be prepared to show a photo ID, such as a drivers license.
    Permits can be obtained at the following locations during normal business hours:

  • Meredith Fire Department - 286 Daniel Webster Highway
  • Meredith Town Offices - 41 Main Street
  • Y-Landing Marine Services - 108 Powers Road

    Permits are now available online. The online permits are available for your convenience,
    and there is a fee ($5.50) which is used to maintain the online program. The Town of
    Meredith nor the Meredith Fire Department receive these fees. Clicking this link will bring
    you to the New Hampshire Division of Forests and Lands Online Burn Permitting System

    Paper permits are still available at the locations listed above.

What Is The Cost Of a Fire Permit?

    There is no charge for a fire permit obtained through the Town of Meredith locations.

How Long Is a Fire Permit Valid?

    A fire permit is valid for up to three days, starting from the day of issue.

    For those obtaininng a seasonal Category I or II permit, the permit is valid through
    December 31 of the calendar year it was issued.

What You Can Burn and When

    Only leaves, woody debris or brush less than 5 inches in diameter can be burned. Dimension lumber and untreated wood can also be burned. No combustible domestic waste, treated wood, or composite materials may be burned. RSA-125N defines "combustible domestic waste" as, but not limited to, household trash, packaging materials, plastics, coated or laminated papers, rubber or treated wood, coated or treated cardboard, oily rags, and animal, vegetable, and kitchen waste."

For any open burning a written fire permit is required. A category I fire may be kindled with a permit at any timewhether raining or not. A category II and category III fire may only be kindled with a permit between the hours of 5:00 PM and 9:00 AM unless it is raining. If it stops raining the fire must be extinguished.

See definitions below.

What You Will Need To Know

   You must supply the following information when you apply for a written fire permit:

Do you own the land where you plan to burn?

    If not, do you have written permission from the landowner?

What are you going to burn?

    Material must be clean ordinary combustibles. Brush cannot exceed 5 inches in diameter.

When do you want to burn?

    Date, time of day, no burning 9:00 am to 5:00 PM unless its raining (permit needed even when raining).

Where are you going to burn?
How far from the nearest structure, trees and dead vegetation or overhead phone or power lines?

Category I fires must be at least 25 feet from any structure and category II or greater fires must be at least 50 feet from any structure. See definitions below.

What do you have for fire protection?

    A hose, shovel or rake, and a bucket of water should be available at the fire. You are liable for the costs of extinguishing escaped fires.

How much help will you have during the burn?

Your fire must be attended at all times, or completely extinguished.

Will you be able to extinguish your fire if someone complains?

Air pollution officials could require a fire be put out if there are smoke complaints.

Are there any tires or tubes in the material to be burned?

Tires, tubes, plastics, shingles, and foam rubber are just some of the prohibited materials.


Category I,II, and III fires may be kindled only with written permission of the landowner or the landowner's agent and a written fire permit issued by the Forest Fire Warden, or the Warden's authorized agent in the town or city where the fire will be kindled,

Category IV fires may be kindled only with the written permission of the landowner or landowner's agent and a written fire permit issued by the Forest Ranger and Forest Fire Warden, or the Warden's authorized agent in the town or city where the fire will be kindled.

A gas grill or charcoal fire in a container up and off the ground kindled by the landowner or with the landowners permission does not require a written permit.

    It should be kept in mind, even with a valid permit, under State law, any damage caused as a result of a kindled fire becomes the obligation of the party responsible for kindling the fire; including the cost of suppression.

Follow Us on facebook
2024 Monthly Runs
{Month} {Total}
Run Totals
2023 510
2022 513
2021 503
2020 491
2019 448
2018 480
2017 474
2016 467
2015 414
2014 389
2013 445
2012 395
2011 384
2010 339

Meredith Fire Department 286 Daniel Webster Highway, Meredith, NH 03253 (603) 279-6061